Friday, July 3, 2015

Greetings, Campers!

I hope to provide a longer update later, but here's the quick version. Check Flickr for the latest pics if you are looking for that. Our page is: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131457232@N02/

So, we had originally planned to be near Pierre, South Dakota hast night and Western Iowa tonight. I'm sure I would have sent you pics from some park or lake or something. Instead, Mrs, C' and an old colleague of her's from Maryland were chatting and realized the the old friend had moved to Eastern Nebraska when she married a year ago. "Is Nebraska on our way?" she asked. "Everywhere is on our way if we make it," I replied. We bagged Pierre and Iowa and headed to Nebraska driving over 400 miles and nearly 8 hours yesterday to give us a full day here today.

We are on Jim and Kim's farm in Clarkson, NE population something under 700. Did you know they grow corn here? I'll take and post a pic at sunset tonight or sunrise tomorrow depending on weather, light and just how social we are. This is the first time we've simply pulled up and parked in someone's driveway. It's been great for us since we have the comfort and convenience of our own home (on wheels) for us and the dogs and Jim and Kim have the ease of guests who bring their own guest house.

Kim and the Mrs. went shopping and catching up after 2 years of not seeing each other. Jim made a breakfast that couldn't be beat and spent the morning helping me wash the truck and Airstream. In exchange I made him and me a hotdog lunch on the Airstream's outdoor grill and he gave me a tour of Clarkson and surrounding towns (did I tell you they grow corn here? I mean they grow CORN here).

Here are some pics of Custer State Park in SD that I couldn't post earlier (I use a laptop to store and process pics. It's charger failed and it was only after Mrs. C' found one in her shopping today that I had enough juice to post these...




Custer State Park was a genuinely beautiful place. We had a great meal there, saw both bison and elk on the exit from the park yesterday morning. If you want to see Yellowstone but can't make the drive to Wyoming, but can get to Western South Dakota you can see some equally beautiful aspects of nature (ok... no geysers or hot mud...but hey, the drive is 8 or 9 hours shorter from the east) in Custer.

More later I hope... or tomorrow from Eastern Iowa...

SC

No comments:

Post a Comment