Monday, May 2, 2016

A day in Dallas

Evenin' Campers! It's Silver Cliche' again. Second day here at Cedar Hill State Park in Cedar Hill, Texas.

So, what's the big buzz in the Dallas area today, or for that matter, across the south? Rain. Lot's of rain. Which is a good thing sometimes (ask the people of California). But when lots of rain falls after lots of rain has recently fallen… not so good. It started here at about 4:30 AM today. Fortunately (and unlike our camping experience the other day in Lake Charles, Louisiana) our campsite here is high and dry. The rain and lightning woke the dogs. They woke us and we all got acquainted in the dark. Fortunately we also all fell back to sleep.

The rain continues the erosion that has already closed a big portion of this park. Here, let me show you a pic of a tree at the lake shore about 100' from our campsite. Although the picture doesn't capture it clearly, on the point of land in the background is a picnic table that now sits in about a foot of water. I'm figuring it originally sat on the lake shore ready to host family gatherings by the lake. Now its ready to host people in the lake. Check out this tree, the roots of which are now hanging in the air:


Just to demonstrate the seriousness of the rain and flooding, there have been fatalities from flash flooding near here in the past 24 hours. The NBC Nightly News did a story this evening with a reporter in Lake Charles, Louisiana to show the flooding right where we were a few days ago. This spring the rain across the south has been the stuff of tragedy.

Today we had a day off the road and decided to explore Dallas. Our two most common ways to get to know an area are to eat there and to shop there. We chose both. Once the rain stopped and we got organized it was late morning and we headed off. Walking the short distance to the truck we realized that the dry, cracked ground that seemed so inviting when we arrived yesterday was a different matter entirely after an inch or two of rain. I'm sure that soil scientists have a name for this earth in its semi-saturated state. If they don't have a name, I would like to propose “brown glue”. I'm thinking this will dry and cake off sometime. Let's hope it's soon. And let's also hope the dogs come to understand “no… stop… not in the mud… oh geez… how am I going to get that crap off your paws so you don't track it all over the trailer again…”. If they were parrots I think they'd be repeating that line by now. Dumb dogs.

A little research told us that we actually wanted to drive to North Dallas. How did we determine that? Well, we looked into restaurants and discovered that our favorite dining place had a location – actually two locations – in North Dallas. For those of you who have traveled along with us before, pardon the repetition. When we lived in the Maryland suburbs of DC there were two Houston's restaurants in the area. They became our go-to dining spot. At one point when we needed an apartment as we were making the move to Florida we chose one apartment over others in part because it was not only across the street from Houston's, but the apartment had a view of the restaurant and its parking lot so we could gauge when we needed to head over to avoid the crowd (unlike some of my yarns, that's entirely true). So we headed to Houston's which was every bit as good in Dallas as in Bethesda, Coral Gables Pompano Beach, Atlanta and I'm sure Houston's we have yet to visit.

After that we headed to some shops specializing in ladies finery and accoutrements. Although “we” headed there, “I” received a pass and chose to stay in the truck in the parking lot. Most of the time I spent trying to figure out how much damage our GPS and I had done on the way to North Dallas. You see, this area is criss-crossed by toll roads that have no tool booths. There are multiple icons and logos on overhead signs that are as easy to interpret as the hieroglyphs of the pharaohs and that indicate (I suppose) what type of agency or authority has declared the right to charge you for driving and what means they plan to use to do so. One of those said “pay by plate”. Until today I thought that was the pricing model at a dim sum restaurant. It turns out my world view was incomplete. Evidently they were watching the ass end of my truck to see where I came from and they have a plan to send me a bill. Guess what? I'm not there! So I figured I'd reach out to them. One hour and many web sites and e-mails later I'm not sure if I ever contacted the right agency. We'll see. Having spent my entire adult life (including much of my professional life) interacting with government agencies I have great confidence that one day they will find me and send me a bill. I have the same amount of confidence that they will have spent almost as much collecting my toll as the toll payment itself brings in.

After a bit of shopping we headed south toward the campground. Since we were in North Dallas and heading south we wound up in… class?… anyone? That's right: Dallas is the correct answer. The #1 thing to see or do in Dallas is… right… go to Dealey Plaza, site of the JFK assassination. We went. We parked on the street just a block away for 50 cents. We had been joking en route about taking a pic or two showing ourselves as shadowy figures on the grassy knoll. That joking stopped as we walked across Houston Street, passed in front of the building that once housed the Texas Schoolbook Depository and walked down Elm Street. I've been to strange and eerie places before. Crossing the Gettysburg battlefield in the place where Pickett's Charge occurred (with unspeakable slaughter) was thoroughly creepy. Standing at the rusting ruins of Launch Complex 34 at Kennedy Space Center where the Apollo 1 astronauts perished was equally still and eerie. Dealey Plaza is different – or at least it was for me today. My memory is so full of images of the event that happened there over 50 years ago that the place triggers a flood of real memory, not just historic reference. We stood on the grassy knoll, we stood where Abraham Zapruder took the footage that captured the events. We looked up at the window of the Schoolbook Depository. What eventually struck me was that the people all around us (there were maybe 100 or so people at 3:45 PM who were obviously doing the same thing we were. All were speaking in low tones. All were moving slowly. All were (evidently) having a similar experience. I thought of us as a group of zombies, moving slowly, gesturing occasionally, milling around with little purpose or direction except to be there. I'll leave you with this panorama which starts with the Schoolbook Depository on the left and ends with the grassy knoll on the right. It's about 270 degrees from end to end and right in the center is Elm Street where the President was hit.


So, quietly we walked back to the truck and drove the 25 minutes back to the trailer and the dogs. It's been a quiet evening, too.

At sunset I walked the dogs and took a last pic for the day of Joe Pool Lake.


As I turned to walk back to the trailer and lock up for the day there were two bluebirds on top of a railing post at the campsite where I took the picture above. I thought "Zip a Dee Doo Dah" and walked home to Mrs. C' and the two traveling dogs.

Tomorrow we are back on the road and continuing to head northwest.

Good night.

SC'

No comments:

Post a Comment