Sunday, May 15, 2016

It turned into a beautiful dam day in Page, AZ

Evenin' Campers! It's Silver Cliche' with you again tonight. This time for the second (and final) night from theWahweap RV Resort (and campground) on the shores of beautiful Lake Powell, AZ.

I was up before the chickens this morning and even before the fishermen it turns out. There is something about being on the eastern edge of a time zone that does that for you and we are on the eastern edge of Pacific Daylight Time. That means it got dark before 8:00 last night, it felt late at 8:30 and the sun lit the sky before 5:30 this morning. I qualify as an early riser by age (not by nature), I was up with the sun. And when I wake up with the sun in the Airstream I grab the Canon and head out to start shooting. I hope if there is every an intruder or a mountain lion or something trying to get into the Airstream and I yell “HONEY, PASS ME THE CANNON” to Mrs. C' that she doesn't think I said “Canon” and instead she grabs the Remington from the wardrobe. I think we ought to have a drill to practice that in a calm moment.

Anyway, the sun that woke me lasted shortly less time than it took me to make coffee and put my pants on (I guess I could have saved a few seconds by skipping that step and maybe gotten you a sunrise pic, but coffee was not negotiable). I was off to the (as yet lifeless) fisherman's boat launch on the lake shore which was a 10 minute walk. By the time I got there it was overcast. If you don't believe me that sunrise pics without the sun are bland, let me share one with you:


 

There now, that's enough to make you say “I don't know why they spent four days in Louisiana to get to a place that looks like that.”. You'd be right. So, I trekked back up the hill with the knowledge that the best part of that photo safari was the coffee. I'd do it again for that alone. I did see a few critters I had not seen before, evidently they are scared off by the sound of fishermen lying about their catch. Here's one that we don't see in the east, at least not the long-eared "Jack" variety"


 I got back “home” and Mrs. C' was up enjoying her coffee with the dogs watching for my return. We had breakfast. The pita toast was good… but we couldn't recreate yesterday's experience. Maybe because the bread was a day older, maybe because we used an honest-to-goodness toaster, maybe because we're under 4,000 feet elevation versus over 7,000 and the thicker air interferes with the body's toast-handling cycle. I don't know. It was great, but nobody from an adjacent camping spot came over to say “I'll have what you're having for breakfast”.

There is a signature smell that hits a large campground around 7:00… frying bacon. I just thought I'd mention that. I don't know who drew the short straw and had the assignment to make this morning fragrant, it wasn't us, but they took the assignment seriously.

So, we hung out for the morning. Played computer games, reviewed the upcoming weather and generally enjoyed having “full hookups” that work. For those of you not versed in Rv-ing, The food chain of camping luxury goes from “boondocking” (parking in the middle of nowhere with absolutely no services and a round in the chamber with two backups in the magazine); “dry camping” (parking in a place designated for camping but with no support services such as plug-in power or a water spigot. We were dry camping the two nights prior to getting here); “Electric” (just like it sounds… you can plug into the campground's 120 Volt system to use your coffee pot, hair dryer, TV, etc. and charge the RV's batteries); “Electric and water” (same as above plus a water spigot to run a white, drinking-water-rated hose from the spigot to your RV); “Full hookups” (same as above plus a sewer connection at the campsite so you don't have to stop at the “dump station” on the way out). I would add an even higher category called “Full hookups that work” since many of the full hookup sites we've been to have some defect such as the sewer opening being uphill from the trailer's waste port. There are many things that run uphill, but one that does not is… oh, let me get back to the story. Here at Wahweap we have “Full hookups that work”. With this setup we can attach a "stinky slinky" (the RV-er's flexible sewer hose), leave the gray water tank drain valve open, have a water hose hooked to the trailer and take showers as long as we want, wash dishes in a full sink of hot water then let it all run down the drain and generally live like the water pigs we are at home. For the first time in 3 weeks this morning I took a regular shower and let the water run continuously. I like “Full hookups that work”. Tomorrow its back to “Dry camping” and Navy showers.

So after a morning of being lazy we decided to go explore Page, Arizona with the hope that the sky would clear for photography later. We locked the dogs in the unhitched trailer with a full bowl of water, hopped in the trusty Tundra, and in 15 minutes we were in town getting our now empty propane tank filled. We carry two 30 pound tanks on the front of the trailer plus I have two full 20 pounders in the back of the truck with the circus clowns (read recent posts for that reference) which are for the generators but can power the trailer's propane system if we need them to. So far, we've burned 40 pounds of propane of the 120 we started off with. Today we got 30, so now we are back to 110 and ready to dry camp for a while.

After propane we went to lunch at “El Tapatio” for some “Az-Mex”. Ok, I don't think there is such a thing as “Az-Mex”, but we both ordered the fajitas. What we got was good in one person's opinion and not so good for the other. We review restaurants anonymously, so I can't divulge who had a thumb up and who down. It wasn't “New Mexican” (not enough “chili”), It wasn't “Tex-Mex” (the beef had a mild red sauce on it), I don't think it was “Mexican” (Donald Trump won Arizona… that should tell you something), so I called it “Az-Mex”. I just did a Google search, I thought I had invented something with “Az-Mex”. I was wrong. The term is in use for food that is a blend of two cultures. There is one restaurant in the whole US-of-A that calls their food “Az-Mex”. It's in Minneapolis. I kid you not. If you really are trying to kill time (like I am dragging this out to give you a sense of what it's like for a photographer surrounded by stunning geography to wait for the sun to come out), check this out: http://www.saguarompls.com/

Anyway, the sun. It finally did come out just as we were ready to head back to our de-luxe campsite at Wahweap and see if the dogs were OK. We decided to assume they were OK and stopped to take lots of pictures. First, I got a few of sandstone to show you the texture, variety and (in one shot below) the transition between red and sand colored stone that appears all over this region. Note that even the grain of the sandstone layers changes when the color changes. I recall that geology students from college used to take a semester on Lake Powell. Now that I'm here, I can see why. It's a rock laboratory here.



Those pictures were taken on a short trail from a parking area to a place called “Scenic View” (literally, it was even on “Scenic View Drive”). I thought it was scenic there. See if you agree (and check Flickr for the full sized images if you want to truly appreciate them). The first is the Glen Canyon Dam which impounds the Colorado River and forms Lake Powell. The second is from the same spot as the first, but I turned 90 degrees left and it is the Colorado continuing on its journey to the Grand Canyon and ultimately the Gulf of California. There is a third view on Flickr which is a panorama incorporating both of the above views.


 


Then we headed back to the trailer, stopped for more pictures, got back to the trailer, chilled, fed and walked the dogs the realized the on-and-off sun was on again and headed up the hill for more landscapes. Every now and then I stumble on something that is not my forte' (in other words, not a landscape). This was one of those times. Sometimes I take a pic that is more artistic (that's my term) or more likely to wind up on a motivational poster in the break room of a WalMart (so say my critics). This afternoon presented one of those opportunities. I call this one “It's all down hill from here” (and the motivational poster caption would read “Keep going until you reach your goal”):




However, I also got what I went there for. See if you like this one:

 


OK, that's it for tonight. Tomorrow we head to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Two things: 1.) It's not clear if we will have cell service there so I may be offline for a few days. And 2.) the weather forecast for the North Rim is downright lousy. If we get rained out every day I'm going to write drivel every day to see that you have the experience of sitting in the rain in a trailer with two dogs near one of the world's wonders that you spent 10 months planning and four days in Louisiana to get to but can't see. I'll try to deliver that kind of shared experience. I can't tell you how many times we've commented to some local about their weather only to hear “It never does this here” to which I reply “It does this 100% of the time we're here”.

Stay tuned!

SC'

No comments:

Post a Comment